The email list that you build today can be worth a lot of money to you in the future, but you need to maintain that list in order to ensure that it is in the best shape possible. How can you get the best value out of an email contact list? A starting point is to keep your list clean, and practice email hygiene. Many people do not consider the importance of this point, but it is crucial to the health of your list.
· When you sign up for an email service provider, opt in for the analytics package. This may cost you a little bit of money, but it will save you a lot in the future – your online reputation and your pocketbook will thank you.
· Review your analytics when you send out an email campaign. You can glean a lot of information from the report after your email message has gone out – and that information may keep coming in for up to a week after you send out an email.
· Always ensure that you use online email address verification when people sign up for your email list. An opt in box should lead to a person receiving an email in their inbox to which they must confirm receipt. This prevents people from receiving your freebie offer without providing a “real” email address.
· Review your email list and eliminate any email addresses that have not opened your messages for the last month or two. These people obviously no longer wish to receive your emails, although they can’t be bothered to unsubscribe. Help them out and remove their email address from your list permanently. If they want to receive your emails in the future, they can always resubscribe.
· Check for unsubscribes in your email list count. Ensure that these are permanently deleted from your subscriber list so that they do not count against you. If there are less than 100, it is probably something you can accomplish yourself. If there are plenty of them, you may need to get your email service provider to help you by deleting these unsubscribes.
If you have an extremely large list, an email scrubbing service can be the answer to keeping your list clean. Every business owner should be building and growing their email list constantly, at every opportunity that they can find. If you are not keeping your list clean, you are not getting the best value out of your email contact list.